The Roman Military Equipment Conference
The first Roman Military Equipment Research Seminar was held in
the Department of Ancient History and Classical Archaeology (now,
sadly, defunct) at the University of Sheffield (GB) in 1983. It has
since grown and the Roman Military Equipment Conference
(ROMEC), as it has become known, now visits various international
venues, but still retains the same goals as that first seminar: to
further the study of Roman military equipment with contributions
from professional or amateur, academic or re-enactor, archaeologist
or historian. It is open to all, the only limitation being one of
The newsletter of ROMEC is Arma,
whilst papers presented at the various conferences are available
(together with other related papers) in the Journal of Roman Military Equipment
- ROMEC I
- Sheffield (GB), 21st March, 1983. Organised by M.C. Bishop.
Published in M.C. Bishop (ed.), Roman Military Equipment.
Proceedings of a Seminar held in the Department of Ancient History
and Classical Archaeology at the University of Sheffield, 21st
March 1983, Sheffield 1983
- ROMEC II
- Sheffield (GB), 1984. Organised by M.C. Bishop. Published in
M.C. Bishop (ed.), The Production and Distribution of Roman
Military Equipment. Proceedings of the Second Roman Military
Equipment Research Seminar, BAR International Series
275, Oxford 1985
- ROMEC III
- Nottingham (GB), 1985. Organised by M. Dawson. Published in M.
Dawson (ed.), Roman Military Equipment: the Accoutrements of
War. Proceedings of the Third Roman Military Equipment Research
Seminar, BAR International Series 336, Oxford
- ROMEC IV
- Newcastle upon Tyne (GB), 12th-13th April, 1986. Organised by
J.C. Coulston. Published in J.C. Coulston (ed.), Military
Equipment and the Identity of Roman Soldiers. Proceedings of the
Fourth Roman Military Equipment Conference, BAR International
Series 394, Oxford 1988
- ROMEC V
- Nijmegen (NL), 1987. Organised by C. van Driel-Murray.
Published in C. van Driel-Murray (ed.), Roman Military
Equipment: the Sources of Evidence. Proceedings of the Fifth Roman
Military Equipment Conference , BAR International Series
476, Oxford 1989
- ROMEC VI
- Bonn (D), 1988. Organised by M. Gechter. Papers published in
JRMES 1 (1989)
- ROMEC VII
- Magdalensburg (A), 24th-26th May, 1990. Organised by H.-J.
- ROMEC VIII
- Newcastle upon Tyne (GB), 11th-12th
April, 1992. Organised by L. Allason-Jones. Published in
JRMES 3 (1992)
- ROMEC IX
- Leiden (NL), 15th-17th September, 1994. Organised by C. van
Driel-Murray. Published in JRMES 5 (1994)
& 6 (1995), with some papers in
- ROMEC X
- Montpellier (F), 26th-28th September, 1996. Organised by M.
Feugère. Papers on the Republican theme published in
JRMES 8 (1997), others in JRMES
- ROMEC XI
- Mainz (D), 10th-12th September,
1998. Organised by J. Oldenstein. Papers on the Late Roman
theme published in JRMES 10 (1999),
others in JRMES 9 (1998)
- ROMEC XII
- South Shields (GB), 24th-26th September, 1999. Organised by
W.B. Griffiths. Papers on the theme of reconstruction published in
JRMES 11 (2000)
- ROMEC XIII
- Brugg (CH). 3rd-7th October, 2001. Organised by E. & S.
Deschler-Erb. Papers on the theme of military equipment in civil
contexts have been published in the Jahresbericht of the
Gesellschaft Pro Vindonissa for 2002. Other papers (and
posters) will appear in JRMES 12/13 (2001/2).
- ROMEC XIV
- Wien (A), 27th-31st August 2003. Organised by S.
Jilek. Papers on the theme of military equipment in
battlefield contexts have been published in Carnuntum Jahrbuch for 2003.
- ROMEC XV
- Budapest (HU), 1st-4th September 2005. Organised by L. Kocsis.
Papers on the theme of the military equipment of the enemies of
Rome will be published in JRMES 16 (2005).
- ROMEC XVI
- Xanten (DE), 13-16 June 2007. Organised by M. Müller and
H.-J. Schalles. Papers published in Hans-Joachim Schalles and
Alexandra W. Busch (eds) Waffen in Aktion. Akten des 16.
Internationalen Roman Military Equipment Conference (ROMEC),
Xanten, 13.-16. Juni 2007, Mainz 2009
- ROMEC XVII
- Zagreb (HR), 24th-27th May 2010. Organised by Prof. dr. sc.
Mirjana Sanader and Ante Rendic Miocevic. Papers will be published
The next ROMEC
ROMEC XVIII will be held in Denmark in 2013 at
København and a link to the conference website will be
placed here as soon as one is available.
The organisational structure of ROMEC is currently under review,
but the organising committee includes
- Dr J.C.N. Coulston , School of Greek, Latin
and Ancient History, University of St Andrews, St Salvator's
College, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, GB
- Dr C. van Driel-Murray , IPP, Nieuwe
Prinsengracht 130, 1018 VZ Amsterdam, NL
- Drs E. & S. Deschler-Erb, Seminar für
Ur- und Frühgeschichte, Universität Basel, Petersgraben
9-11, 4051 Basel, CH
- Dr S. Jilek, Academy of Science, Institut
für Kulturgeschichte der Antike, Baeckerstrasse 13, 1010 Wien,
- Dr L. Kocsis, Aquincum
Museum, Budapest, HU